Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Life of an Ant

Ii had never really thought about this until this video clip brought it to my attention. i work at starbucks and do alot of that sort of human interaction, in such a hurry that i almost forget im talking to another person. so on thursday evening, during my break i made my way out to the lobby and a found a lady sitting in a chair by the fire reading a book. i sat next to her and asked her how her day had been so far. she looked up, a bit startled and said the usually, oh good and yours. i stopped her right there and asked her how it had really gone that day. she set down her book, which i now noticed seemed to be some sort of self help book. she looked me in the eyes and simplysaid "you really want to know?" i nodded and she laughed a little "you asked for it". this woman was probably one of the lonliest people i have ever met. in the last year, she had lost her husband to cancer, her best friend to cancer, and her son and daughter in law had had a miscarriage. she told me of her everyday struggles just to get out of bed in the morning, and how she leaned on God for help when she needed it, which she assured me was always. the tears welled up in her eyes and i gave this woman i had just met a tearful hug. she smiled once more as it was my time to leave and told me how much she had appreciated our little talk, and what a fine young woman i was. and then she sat back down, picked her book up, and began again to read.

No comments: